On the campaign trail, I’m getting asked about my plan for Cannabis in the City of Leduc.
As you all know we have Aurora building at the Airport which is a large distribution/grow centre that has been licensed to legally produce the medical product. You may believe that the City of Leduc has no worries but we do. There is a lot of work to do within this next year as municipalities will likely govern many aspects of the legalization process.
So here is my plan:
1. Participate in the federal consultation;
2. Visit all zoning within the Land Use Bylaw and adjust as well as adjust approval processes
3. Adjust and discuss Business Licensing processes and Bylaws;
4. Review the Building Code and consult with Fire as it relates to the Fire Discipline portion;
5. Municipal workplace safety within the Health and Safety program;
6. Enforcement regulations around public consumption;
7. Enforcement regulations with the RCMP regarding Impaired driving
8. Human Resource Policies
This impacts heavily on municipalities so we will need to:
1. Assemble a working group on the Cannabis legalization that includes appropriate municipal departments and allied agencies and residents
2. We will need to get this going January 2018
3. Establish our timelines and build work plans which we will share with you
4. A proper public consultation process where we come to see you, not you in a stuffy board room talking to us
5. Conducting a public hearing within Council
All these changes take time and energy and it will be a priority for my new Council and the Administration and because you have asked!