1. Will the new Mayor and Council have their own Social Media?
• In the citizen’s satisfaction survey you wanted Council to keep you better informed of what is going on
• I will definitely have a social media channel and will encourage Council to become part of it
• We will update you on the big issues, celebrations, decisions, or call you to Council when we are facing a most difficult decision for your input
• We will tell you what events we are at
• We will seek your input where you are rather than a stuffy room in City Hall for our convenience and we will encourage staff to do the same
2. Will the Mayor post expenses?
• Monthly my expenses will be posted, signed off by the Chief Financial Officer and the City Manager
• They will be in an easy to read format so that you know exactly what I am spending
• You will know what my spending latitude is and you will know for certain expenses why I spent the money
3. Will the Mayor provide news of meetings conferences, trips, and make sure the business trips are for a purpose not just going somewhere on the taxpayer’s dollar?
• The Federation of Canadian Municipalities is an expected conference as it places us in the path of Federal Elected Officials that we can lobby
• The Alberta Urban Municipal Association is an expected Alberta Conference whereby all elected officials and Municipal Managers can get together and share ideas, working coalitions, and help each other and lobby the Provincial Government
• The Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties is an expected Alberta Conference whereby Municipal Officials and Managers can get together with County and Specialized District Elected Officials and Managers
• Conferences and trade missions for the sake of being seen or going on a “junket” will not be considered unless a trade deal is to be signed that brings business and jobs to our municipality, or unless there is clear evidence that we need to lobby for business on an issue that may hurt business – such as the Federal taxation of small business that is coming. In all cases, you will know what is coming and why I’m going or not going or if it’s more prudent to have a Councillor go.
4. Municipal Enforcement
• I have noticed there is an incredible amount of concern regarding Automated Traffic Enforcement or Photo Radar
• The contractor Global is no longer providing service in Leduc
• The City is thinking or has purchased their own Photo Radar Equipment
• The Community Peace Officers mainly provide traffic services and the City has 2 Community Peace Officers level 2 to conduct by law enforcement
• When elected I will work with Council and Administration to review or set service levels for Enforcement in the following manner:
• 30% Resident Complaint driven
• 30% CPO Observation and mitigation
• 30% Community-Based Policing Initiatives
• 10% Administrative
• In this way, the CPO’s can understand the overarching Council Service Levels expected and they can tailor their shifts to meet these expectations within their discretion
• We will review all Bylaw and stats related to them and work together to repeal a bylaw that is not relevant or cannot be effectively enforced and review those that are.
5. 4 Year Budgeting
• The City has a group of incredibly professional and talented budget and accounting professionals
• They have spent years in School and have years of experience in their profession
• We will work with them in 2019 to achieve a 4-year budget that can forecast and help all departments plan and strategize instead of providing business cases and hoping for the best
• We will have a funded capital budget that actually provides a chart for saving for when we need capital purchases such as equipment, buildings such as a new fire hall and other growth items that we now have to plan for
• We will manage and forecast our growth from 31,000 to 50,000 so that taxpayers aren’t constantly hit with increases that aren’t planned
• We will require all departments to look at their systems and processes, and policies to make sure that they are not red tape created and are lean and mobile to ease resident’s understanding of what they need to do when building or asking for permits etc.
• We will look at our service fees and determine the why’s and the reasons for them and determine which are needed and which are not